Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweet Scents


Along with the Valentine's Day cookies I made, I also made some really cute potpourri hearts for a few friends. They were super simple and definitely a cute addition to my bagged cookies.

The only supplies you'll need to make one (or five!) is some scrap fabric, needle & thread, some cotton balls, buttons (optional), and potpourri! Sounds simple enough, right?


First you just cut your fabric into hearts. I folded my fabric in half when I cut so that I'd get the same sized front and back pieces. Or you can print or draw a template to trace onto your fabric to make it easier.

Then, thread your needle, making sure you tie off one end, and start stitching around the heart. I started at the top center of the heart- since that was where I wanted my button to go when I was finished. Make sure you leave about 1-2 inches unfinished so you can stuff you heart before closing.


Once you get to this point, stop stitching and stuff your heart with cotton balls. I stuffed along the outline first, and then added the potpourri dust into the center of the heart, placing the cotton balls around the edges of the heart so the dust wouldn't fall out of any creases. You can probably just stick the potpourri pack into the heart itself, but I wanted it to be more fragrant, so I emptied the contents directly into the heart!


Now all you have to do is stitch up the open part, and knot off your thread where you started. I placed the button over the knots to hide the messy final stitches and left enough thread for a loop in order to hang the heart- just in case!

And that's it! Now you have a very sweet scented heart to give away, or you can make some for yourself to throw into your drawers or car! Who said scents couldn't be cute?!


Idea inspired by a post from lovely indeed!

No comments: